June is sketch month over at Creative Life Scrapbooking Facebook Page and my first layout is my version of Lisa Brown Graham's sketch.
As you can see, I tweaked Lisa's sketch a bit by rotating the left page a turn to the left, keeping the bottom border as is. Keep scrolling for directions for this and all three of today's scrapbook layouts.
I love mixing patterns in my layouts but I don't love using up a lot of patterned papers to achieve the look I'm going for. My goal for the next two layouts was to use one sheet of patterned paper per two page layout in addition to my base (refill pages, cardstock or two sheets of pattern paper). My plan was to add variety and pattern with mats from the Vitamin Sea Variety Mat Pack, coordinating cardstock and paper scraps instead of cutting up more pattern paper. I used two sheets of patterned paper as my base for the next layout and white cardstock for the last (you could also use white refill pages). Except for the Spring Leaf Chain Border used on my Palm Springs layout I met my goal and saved myself a lot of patterned paper for more layouts! Woohoo!!
Here's what you'll get with the Vitamin Sea Collection:
Supplies needed to create today's layouts:
Layout 1: Lovin' Life
- Using your choice of cardstock as your base, cut one sheet of pattern paper into one 5"x12" piec and one 7"x12" piece. Cut each piece to 9 3/4 inches long, leaving you with one 5" x 9 3/4" piece and one 7" x 9 3/4" long. Set aside the two pieces you have left (you'll need them for layout #3). Adhere your 5" wide piece to the left page and the 7" wide piece to the right page as shown.
- Using your 12-Inch Trimmer and the straight blade, cut two 2 1/4" x 12" pieces from the blue stripe pattern paper shown. Adhere to the bottom edge of both pages as shown.
- Using your 12-Inch Trimmer and the Wave blade, cut two 1" x 12" strips from the dark blue pattern side of the blue stripe paper (see step 2 above). Using the same Wave blade, cut two 1 1/4" x 12" strips from light green pattern paper shown. Stack the dark blue strips and the light green strips and adhere to blue stripe border as shown.
- Using the Border Maker with the Kissing Fish Chain Border Maker Cartridge, punch two borders from light blue cardstock (I used Light Blue Shimmer but Cloud would also work). Use a Repositionable Tape Runner to adhere to border as shown.
- Using the 12-Inch Trimmer and the straight blade, cut four 4 1/4" x 6 1/4" photo mats from light blue cardstock and one 4 1/4" x 6 1/4" photo mat from light green pattern paper. Use the light blue to mat four 4x6"horizontal photos and the the light green to mat one 4x6" vertical photo. Use a tape runner to adhere matted photos to layout as shown.
- Mat the 4 x 6" Lovin' Life mat from the Vitamin Sea Variety Mat Pack with the 4 1/2' x 6 1/2" dark green mat shown. Adhere to left page as shown. Cut one 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" journal mat from light blue cardstock and adhere to left page as shown.
- Fussy cut around the 4th shell from Shell Laser Cut Border and use a Repositionable Tape Runner to adhere to the right page as shown - light tan side up. Adhere the light blue side to the left page as shown. Cover the wonky cut shell at the end of the border with the dark blue shell sticker shown.
- Cut the green laser cut border shown into two 5" long borders as shown and use Repositionable tape runner to adhere to layout as shown. Continue to embellish as shown or as desired, journal your story and you're done.
- Using two refill pages as your base and the 12-Inch Trimmer, cut one 1" x 12" strip and one 5" x 12" piece from dark blue pattern paper shown. Set aside the left over 6 x 12" piece (you'll need it for Layout 3). Adhere the 1 x 12" strip to the top and the 5 x 12" piece to the bottom of the left page as shown. Wallpaper the right page with another sheet of the same pattern paper.
- Using the 12-Inch Trimmer and the straight blade, cut one 6 1/2" x 12" piece from the coral pattern paper shown. From the 5 1/2 x 12" piece that's left, use the Seashells Decorative Border Punch to punch one seashells border. Set border aside with the 6 1/2" x 12" piece. Using the 12-inch trimmer and the Wave Blade, cut one 1/2" x 12" strip from the remainder of the coral pattern paper and set aside with the rest of the pieces cut from the coral pattern paper.
- Use the straight blade to cut the remaining pattern paper to 3 x 12 inches. With the leaf pattern side facing you, use your fingers to tear a narrow strip from the right edge. Hint: tear the strip towards you and at an angle to reveal the white core of the pattern paper. Set piece aside with the rest of your coral pattern pieces.
- Using the 12-Inch Trimmer and the Straight Blade, cut one 3/4" x 12" strip and two 2 1/2" squares from white or white shimmer cardstock. Using the Wave Blade, cut two 1/2" x 12" strips from the same white cardstock. Use the 12-Inch Trimmer and the straight blade to cut a 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece from the inside only of one 4 1/4" x 6 1/4" striped mat from the Vitamin Sea Variety Mat Pack, leaving a border around the mat. Set aside the outside piece to mat a photo later and cut the inside piece into two 2 1/4" squares and one 1" x 3 1/2" rectangle.
- To assemble the left page: use Repositionable tape runner to adhere the two white 1/2" x 12" Wave strips to the underside of the 6 1/2" x 12" coral pattern paper as shown, making sure the herringbone pattern side is up. Use a brown dual-tip pen and a ruler to add faux stitching as shown and adhere to the left page as shown. Adhere one 2 1/4" stripe square to the top of one 2 1/2" white square. Use a brown dual-tip pen and a ruler to add faux stitching to the edge of the stripe square. Adhere to page as shown. Using a repositionable tape runner, adhere the shell border shown to the page with the leaf pattern up as shown. Adhere three 3 3/4" x 5 3/4" vertical photos to the coral pattern paper as shown. Adhere the 4" x 6" journal mat shown to the page as shown. I used the discontinued 3 in 1 Tag Maker to punch both ends of the 1" x 3 1/4" rectangle but you can either cut a V into each end or leave as is. Adhere to top of page as shown. Embellish page as shown.
- To assemble the right page: adhere the light coral side of the Laser Cut Border shown to the right side of the right page as shown. Adhere the 3" x 12" torn paper piece shown to the page, covering part of the Laser Cut Border as shown. Adhere the 1/2" x 12" strip to the white 3/4" x 12" strip as shown. Adhere to page as shown. Adhere the remaining 2 1/4" striped square to the white square, add faux stitching and adhere to the border as shown. Mat one 4" x 6" horizontal photo with empty center mat (see step 4) and one 4" x 6" vertical photo with another 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" striped mat from the variety mat pack. Adhere both to page as shown.
- To finish layout, trim the Make Your Own Sunshine mat from the variety mat pack to 4 x 4 1/2 inches. To create the dotted edge, using the fine tip end of a black dual-tip pen or the Denim Dot Pen and a clear plastic ruler and starting 1/8th of an inch from the edge, space your dots every 1/16th of an inch around the the edge of the mat. Adhere mat to page as shown. Cut a 1 3/4" x 4" rectangle from another striped mat, edge with faux stitching and adhere to page as shown. Fussy cut the floral laser cut border shown to about 4 inches long and adhere to rectangle. Embellish layout as shown, journal your story and you're done!
Layout 3: Sunsets & Palm Trees
- Using white cardstock as your base, adhere the 2 1/4" x 7" piece left over from Layout 1 to the bottom of the left page and the 2 1/4" x 5" piece to the right page as shown. Using the Border Maker and the Spring Leaf Border Maker Cartridge, punch a 12" long border from green pattern paper. Cut border to one 5" long piece and one 7" long piece. Use repositionable tape runner to adhere each piece to it's corresponding border as shown.
- Using the 12-Inch Trimmer and the straight blade, cut one sheet of the green pattern paper shown into one 4 1/2" x 12" piece which will leave you with a 7 1/2 x 12" piece. Use the 12-Inch Trimmer and the Stamping Blade to cut three 1/2" x 12" strips from the dark blue pattern paper left over from Layout 2. Adhere two strips to the underside of the 4 1/2" x 12" piece and one strip the the underside of the left side of the 7 1/2" x 12" piece. Adhere the 4 1/2" x 12" piece to the left page as shown, making sure that the left end of your border is covered. Adhere to the 7 1/2" x 12" piece to the right page as shown.
- Adhere a 3 7/8" x 5 3/4" vertical photo and two 4 x 6 inch horizontal photos to the left page as shown. Adhere three 4 x 6 inch horizontal photos to the right page, overlapping two of the photos as shown. Mat the Sunsets & Palm Trees mat with a 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" dark blue mat and adhere to right page as shown.
- I used dark blue sticker letters from the old Creative Memories for my sub-title on the left page but you can also use black if you like. To create the flags on the left page, cut one 1 1/4 x 2" piece from dark blue pattern paper scrap and one 1 5/8 x 1 3/8" piece from light green pattern paper scrap. Cut a V into one end of each and adhere to top of left page as shown.
- Embellish with palm trees from the Vitamin Sea Laser Cut Borders, add stickers and embellishment shown, journal your story and that's it! You're done!
For more information about the products used in today's blog post, please visit your advisor's website. Of course, is you don't already have an advisor, I'd be more than happy to be your personal Creative Memories Advisor. Just visit my website at http://www.creativememories.com/user/dbrinsley to create an account.
Hope you have fun scrapbooking your stories!